Thursday, April 06, 2006

Lots of updates!

Gosh it's been over a month since my last post...
I guess starting back at uni hasn't left me much time for quilting (there are times when I know I could have much better things to do...) but I'll try and update as best as I can.

If you couldn't have figured out, my Valentine's Day quilt is not yet finished. (We're up to adding the sashing and cornerstones to the completed blocks) We're working row by row on the quilt top, then I'll get some pretty dark pink thread and quilt the whole thing. It's a single bed quilt with a pillow tuck and lots of hang.

I started my first of 11 quilting classes last night. I picked a pretty pink tie dye with waves as the fabric and I'm quite fond of it. I've also discovered a love for variegated thread. Our first block (it's a machine quilting class) was a calla lily, and I'm sure if that wasn't my favourite flower then I would have been disappointed. At least it looks like a calla lily! Pretty good for a first try. Some ladies there were grovelling at themselves because they couldn't get it on the lines, but I heard a quilter say once "Accept all the compliments you get, because no one but the maker will know where the mistakes are." And, sure enough, when I got home to mum she was quite impressed, she couldn't tell where the mistakes were! They're a good group of girls in my quilting class, all considerably older but we share the same hobby. I think I act more mature because I hang out with my mum a lot.

Oh, and I got published in an e-Zine. I get an online newsletter sent to my email every few weeks, I wrote a letter to the editor and she liked it so much that she published it.

I'm getting a lot of compliments on the pillow I made, and that I should start making them to sell. We have a lot of craft markets around here, so I'd have to go check them out to see if that's worth venturing into for a bit of pocket money.

The next few posts are images on what I've described in this post. Hopefully I'll keep up with my posts and record my progression on my quilting class. I have too many ideas and not enough time to do them all!

No comments: